- GW Home
- About GW
- University Life
- News & Events
- Faculty And Staff
Student Veterans Semester in Washington Program
Come to DC, where history is made everyday
The Center for Second Service is the clearinghouse for veterans interested learning more about the political process. We are proud to offer the Student Veterans Semester in Washington, a specialized program designed to give student veterans from around the country an invaluable up-close view of D.C. We plan to welcome our first Semester in Washington Student Veterans in the Summer semester of 2013.
Student veterans in the Semester in Washington Program will:
- Take classes at GW, a top university in the heart of Washington, DC. Classes are held in the mornings.
- Participate in a hands-on internship and interact with political leaders and policymakers. Most students choose to do their internships on Capitol Hill.
- Go on a guided tour of Washington, learn about the inner-workings of the US government, and the processes that define our political system. Student veterans go backstage to meet and learn from Washington insiders.
- Get mentored by a DC insider, who provides advice and counsel throughout the duration of the program. Mentors include leaders of veterans’ service organizations, Capitol Hill staffers, political appointees, and campaign professionals.
- Attend the Second Service Speaker Series with elected veterans, public intellectuals, and some of the finest minds in politics.
- Return home knowing what it takes to win elections, pass legislation and influence public opinion. Student veterans also learn what professional options are available as a congressional staffer, campaign manager, press secretary, veterans’ service organization staff member, lobbyist, pollster, media producer, journalist or fundraiser.
- If the student chooses, they can take Student Veterans Semester in Washington classes to earn credit toward a Master’s Degree in Political Management at the George Washington University Graduate School of Political Management. This will result in increased coursework.
Qualified veterans can receive
How to Apply:
- Complete the online application and select the box for the Student Veterans Semester in Washington program. In your personal statement, please be sure to mention that you are applying for the Student Veterans Semester in Washington Program. The application deadline for Summer 2013 is May 1st.
Come to DC, where history is made every day.